Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Vacation???

Marcie asked on Facebook if anyone wanted to go to Hawaii with her. Since I had a b-day it made sense to go for my b-day! Then Jeanette's hubby said she could go as well so we were off for a fun and relaxing time...we thought!
Marcie is awesome planning vacations and also reading about where she goes to see and do all the fun things in the area. Also she reads about the history, food, people etc... It's a talent she has that makes a vacation wonderful. So we went with things planned and ready for a blast.

Saturday we arrived, found our hotel and looked around. Sunday morning we went to Church and then looked around. Monday we were all so excited for the swim with the dolphins. You go out in the ocean and "greet" the dolphins as they come in from feeding at night. They say they are tired and sleepy on their way back to rest. We had to go up the coast a bit to find them but when we did....It WAS SO EXCITING!!! There were 5 of us on the boat and Captain Dennis had us all prepped to put on our snorkel and fins then get in the water FAST!!! Our adrenaline was going so when he said (yelled) go go go get in! We just all slipped in the ocean. I normally would have taken a LOT more time getting in and worrying about what else might be in the water but with Captain Dennis you just don't do that!
After swimming with the dolphins and watching them swim right next to us and all around, they had passed us so we got on the boat and off we went to get in front of them. Again when we were in front of them, the captain yelled, go go go get in!!!! We all just slipped in, but this time we knew what we were in for and it wasn't scary at all, just thrilling!! WOW! swimming with wild dolphins! An experience of my life time! Again we got back in the boat to get in front of the dolphins. This time we were soooo ready!
We had a great time! It was time to get back in the boat and as I handed my fins to the captain, I felt a very strong sting on my right arm. I got in the boat and told the captain. He wasn't worried at all and just said to spray some vinegar on it. By the time I walked to the front of the boat I knew something was very wrong! My sweet daughter Marcie grabbed the vinegar and tried to squirt the vinegar out but nothing worked. Now it is VERY VERY painful and I told her to open the bottle and pour it on my arm. She did and then I guess she noticed that the tentacle was wrapped around my arm. She used the end of the sprayer and carefully unwrapped it.
NOW the pain is unbearable and I am starting to shake and jerk. Really all of my body went into spasms! Then more pain. My hands, feet and abdomen are in the most pain I have EVER experienced! I start to (sorry) throw up over the boat until my body was exhausted. I guess I sat in the boat and now I can't breath! My nose feels like it's completely blocked and my throat is starting to feel tight. I'm still throwing up (sorry Jeanette) in her towel (thank you too)!
The poor couple on the boat was helping out as best they could. It was so surreal! I just couldn't believe it was happening. Jeanette and Marcie kept telling me to breath. I tried so hard to listen, but the pain in my body was so awful I had a had a hard time.
I know Marcie and Jeanette could give a much better account because I was in so much pain.
The captain was on his radio trying to get an ambulance ready and at the same spot we came in. I don't know exactly how I got out of the boat but the ambulance was a great thing. All this time all I could say was "Please make the pain go away". uggg....
Once in the ambulance they put in an IV that helped some but not the pain in my hand, feet and abdomen. It wasn't until I was in the emergency room that the pain subsided! My heart was working way overtime! I do remember the nurse asking if I had high blood pressure! Nope I don't! But I guess it was way high at the time!!
I am so grateful for everyone who helped me! I don't want anyone to have to go through that EVER!
Monday night Marcie and Jeanette made dinner. Marcie BBQ ahi tuna and Jeanette made the salad. They put slices of the tuna on the lettuce (papaya and butter avocado as well) then they squirted lime juice for the dressing. YUM!! Tuesday we went to the beach and just layed on the beach! It was great. I needed to rest. My body was exhausted!
Tuesday night Marcie had a night swim with the manta rays! There was NO WAY I could go so they went and had a indescribable time. You HAVE to talk to them about it!
Wednesday we drove all the way around the island. It was our volcano visit. The Waimea Valley is soooooo beautiful! The coastline and country is a must see! We took our time and stopped to take pictures and enjoy the ride. The volcano was just "smoking". We wanted to see more but with the excitement at the beginning of the week, and quiet volcano was OK.
Thursday we went to Akaka Falls State Park. It's a beautiful self-guided 0.4-mile loop meanders through lush tropical vegetation to scenic vista points overlooking Kahuna Falls and the free-falling Akaka Falls, which plunges 442 feet into a gorge. Nice place! We went to Thurston Lava Tube and walked in the one with no lights! I brought flashlights so we walked in with two couples from I think New Mexico. It was fun!
We went to Hilo to go to the shortbread cookie place (I can't remember the name, darn) but the cookies are so so so yummy! We went other places and then drove home.
Friday we went on the Dolphin Swim again! They offered it to us since our last visit was interrupted! I wanted to go but I just couldn't get into the ocean. I wanted to but my fear was way to great. I did go snorkeling at Captain Cooks Cove and I'm glad I did.
Saturday we killed time and found some place we wished we had found during the week. Then off to the airport and home. I need a vacation from my vacation!!!! (pictures later)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Your experience sounds horrific-I'm so glad you are okay now. I don't blame you for not wanting to get in the water. I'd be hard pressed to get in the boat!

Family

Family
Love my family

Followers

Blog Archive

My Blog List