Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A painting lesson~~~NOT







OK, this is a lesson on what NOT to do when you are painting your (our) house!



The plan: Rob paints the base of the house and me, I paint the trim.



So...this morning I dressed in my "painting clothes" and went to spend the day outside painting the trim on the house. Rob gave me a lesson last night on how to make the ladder extend to reach the tall spots on the house. I started in the far corner over the door that goes out/into the garage. Not to bad....then the eves at the top of the ridge...hmmm kinda scary. Things were going OK (I was scared to death of the height) but really wanted to get a lot done so I put my fear behind me and just went for it. I had painted for about 1/2 an hour and needed to move the large bulky ladder.



I drug it over and positioned it just right. Went to pick up the paint and roller and started to climb the ladder. I got to the point where the clips hook onto the ladder rung and looked at it. The thought came to me that it looked "off" but as I tried to move it up or down, it looked firmly in place.






I took a few ladder steps and then...............all of a sudden I was FALLING DOWN THE LADDER!!!! The paint and roller went flying to who knows where and I went down! When I finally stopped I was in shock! I sat there and untangled my arms and legs from the ladder (how did that happen). I knew I was hurting but I was more MAD at myself.






I got up and hobbled into the house crying like a baby! Rob heard me and ran out to see what on earth I could have done! He sat me down and checked out my owies. He asked how high I was when I fell and then the flood gates were open! I started to bawl. I think anger and fear and pain all together came out in uncontrolled bawling! Not dainty whimpering but all out bawling!






Rob got some ice and put it on my shin. I had paint up my arms (both of them), down my legs (yes both of them), in my hair (yuk) and a very nice spray all over the back or Tig! She was under the ladder when my little fall occurred.






Now I have cleaned up and have rested and what hurts the most is the bottom of my left foot! It must have hit the ladder rung very hard on the way down. I took a picture of my shin. I looks a lot ickier in person!






So where is the lesson here?? Don't ask Maryann advise when you paint! NO, don't let her climb a ladder!

6 comments:

Nana Laurie said...

Poor Maryann! You need to sit in your lawn chair with a icy glass of pink lemonade and watch someone else do the painting.
Terry said that grown-ups don't cry so you must have gotten really hurt. Be Careful.

Heather said...

this story scares me! i am terrified to climb ladders and just for that specific reason. ugh, i hope you feel better.

Kate said...

I'm sorry you hurt your leg!! I hope it gets better quickly-- I think you should enjoy some quiet time on the couch eating ice cream.

mhanberg said...

I think I should sit in a lawn chair with my foot in the pool while I eat ice cream and THAT would make me feel better! Thanks for the great advice and words of wellness!

Lindy Leigh said...

Brad won't let me on ladders because of his fear of this very thing.

You poor thing. You should always use the ladder WE invented with all the padding and the giant mattress underneath it ;)

mhanberg said...

I sent it with Rob cause I didn't want HIM to fall! I am known for giving of myself so others won't get hurt! Remember you taught me to be so thoughtful! :)

Family

Family
Love my family

Followers

Blog Archive

My Blog List