Friday, July 31, 2009

Mcalester OK?????

Happy Days Hotel


On our way to Texarkana we ran into weather and had to change course. We diverted to Muskogee OK to get fuel and wait for the storm to go by. Arriving in Muskogee we found the airport empty. No one was there to fuel the plane. On to Mcalester Oklahoma, and we found the same issue. There we were with not enough fuel to get to Texarkana and no vehicle to get to a hotel.
It just so happened that a very nice young man was there with his little boy waiting to see airplanes come and go. He offered to take us to a hotel. Wow is that southern hospitality! He took us to the Happy Days Hotel. We stayed in the James Dean Room!

There is a restaurant in the front of the hotel that the daughter of the gal who runs the hotel owns. We had deep fried green beans as an appetiser! Sooo good. Rob had catfish and fried okra. Not a fan of either. I did try it though.

The next morning breakfast was southern as well. Rob had ham, eggs, biscuits and gravy. I had a sample of each of his and they were good.
The airport is about 2 miles from the hotel and Rob decided that we could walk, hoping that the weather would clear by the time we got there. I'm sure we only walked about 200 yards and a car pulled up with a business man driving and he offered to give us a ride. I was a bit scared but he really was a nice man. He drove us to the airport and we had a nice visit on the way.
Once at the airport Rob checked the weather. No flying out for a few hours. We sat around and waited and waited. Finally the weather cleared just enough for us to squeeze out and get above the rainy clouds. As we flew higher the clouds started to clear out.
Texarkana was not in the plans now. If we had gone there we would have been stuck for a few days (maybe more). On to Lubbock to see our sweet grand daughter Ellie.

3 comments:

Nana Laurie said...

OH ... JAMES DEAN not Jimmy Dean. Now I get it.

mhanberg said...

Rob kept saying Jimmy Dean!

Lindy Leigh said...

Since I left CA I am not as afraid of strangers...still careful though :)

Family

Family
Love my family

Followers

Blog Archive

My Blog List